Are you under Attack?
Luke 4:9-13 New International Versions (NIV) 9) The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10) For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; 11) they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”
12) Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.” 13) When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.
At some point in your life as a child of God you are going to be attacked by Satan. How will you react? Will you give in and let him use you to do his dirty work or will you attack back spiritually with the spoken word of God? Satan cannot stand against the written word of God.
As stated in The Gospel of Luke 4:9-13 when Jesus came under attack by Satan, he used scriptures against him, but how can you use scriptures if you do not know the scriptures.
What you can do is simple. Pick up your Bible and learn one Bible verse at a time, so when you do come under attack you will be ready for him.
What I usually do is re-word the scripture in the first person so it will be in real time at the point of my being attacked. For example:
- Luke 10: 19: “Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.”
- My Interpretation: It is written that I have the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing you do Satan shall by any means hurt me.
- James 4:7: “Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.”
- My Interpretation: I therefore submit to God and will resist you Satan. Flee from me.
- John 8:32: “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
- My Interpretation: Satan, you are the Father of Lies but I know the truth and the truth shall set me free.
I find that putting the scripture in my own words helps me to remember it better. I encourage you to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance as you go through the Bible and help you pick out meaningful scriptures that you can use effectively in your own life to fight off Satan. After all we are in a spiritual warfare.